Thursday, April 7, 2011

YAKI - YUM

Hey Oven...what do you want to cook tonight? Eh?



So let's lighten the mood.
I made bombdiggity teriyaki stir fry. It was a fiasco until the end.






I got this tasty guy off my kitchen counter (thanks mom). Oh and Swanson Broth...but I totally used general FRED MEYER BRAND because it's cheaper.




Here's what NOT to do when making stir fry.

DON'T
Get a recipe and not read through it (I believe I said that before...and I believe I'll say it again).
I began preparing for this recipe and things were going good...





PS Cutting broccoli and cauliflour SUCKS it goes everywhere like confetti.

So smooth sailing until I realize it says NOTHING about adding the chicken I marinated overnight (with low sodium soy sauce...just a hint of it though). Then I read the recipe again it says VEGETABLE STIR FRY.

oh shit.


Panic mode...where does the rice come in? How do I add the chicken? When do I? Oh man rice takes like 15 minutes and I'm already heating up the egg rolls in the microwave and I haven't even cooked the dang chicken.

FAIL.

So I back track. Stop cutting veggies and nuking the egg rolls. I make rice.



Which has an easy pour spout...notice how I didn't notice that when opening it...

again this stuff is like glitter...gets everywhere.

Ok yay rice is cooking. Put the chicken in the oven for 20 min on 450.

Well I guess it doesn't look that good. But anyway...back to the stir fry...the ONLY VEGGIE STIR FRY.

Those healthy sonsofguns are in the biggest pan I could find with ginger and garlic and a bit of oil...once they get crispy I add the sauce I cleverly / accidentally made first (see recipe above).
I THEN turn up the heat after adding the sauce (so EZ to make seriously go do it) and let it boil and not get so liquidy.
Mean time rice is a cookin, chicken is donezo so I chop it up and put it in with the veggies (because it was a VEGGIE ONLY STIR FRY) and have it all cook together.

OH THE EGG ROLLS! Dang I forgot them in the microwave...so I actually finish nukin them while everything is cooking together.

I call up my dad (who waits til a commercial to set the table for us...what are you five?! I just made you dinner!) and my brada home dog ... uh friend ... Levi to come over and try my MAKESHIFTTERIYAKIVEGGIESTIRFRY.

I did everything backwards and upside down but shoot dang was it good.





Great success.
So in summary. READ RECIPES BEFORE YOU COOK. TIMING IS ACTUALLY IMPORTANT IN COOKING. and um check to see if things have an easy open ... spout...because they can come in handy.

Kris.

No comments:

Post a Comment